The Young Water Fellowship (YWF) Uganda 2021 is an entrepreneurship programme dedicated to social businesses in the water, sanitation and hygiene sector (WASH), implemented by Young Water Solutions in partnership with WASEU and with the support of TuriKumwe
The programme has since 2017 supported over 75 youth-led start-ups in 30 countries. For more information about the global impact, visit www.youngwatersolutions.org.
The YWF Uganda 2021 empowers early-stage young entrepreneurs to validate and launch social businesses that tackle water, sanitation & hygiene issues at the community level. The selected young entrepreneurs are provided with a holistic package of financial and technical support, including: training, coaching and mentorship, opportunities for seed funding and networking. By launching their social businesses, these young entrepreneurs contribute to universal access to safe water and sanitation.
The Young Water Fellowship Uganda 2021 is implemented by:
Young Water Solutions
- Young Water Solutions is an international non-profit organization based in Belgium that aims to develop and support the potential of young people to contribute to universal water, sanitation hygiene and water resources management through social entrepreneurship. Since 2017, their flagship programme is the Young Water Fellowship, that since 2017 has supported more than 75 youth-led start-ups in 30 countries. www.youngwatersolutions.org
Water and Sanitation Entrepreneurs Association of Uganda (WASEU)
- WASEU is a non-profit organization that supports small-scale local entrepreneurs to plan, build and sustain WASH businesses. It was founded in 2015 with the goal of advocating for an enabling environment for WASH entrepreneurs in Uganda. It operates at the national and/or local level and builds and maintains strong relationships with government, NGOs involved in the WASH sector, local businesses and financing institutions. Within this network WASEU promotes the interests of WASH entrepreneurs and contributes to strategic WASH planning. Members of WASEU also gain access to technical and business training, mentorship, ongoing support, funding opportunities and access to a professional network. For more information visit: https://waseu.org/.
- TuriKumwe is a Ugandan NGO focused on creating sustainable change through an integrated approach to engage local communities, governments, and business owners. Based in Fort Portal, TuriKumwe has partnered with Young Water Solutions since 2017 on WASH related projects and the Young Water Fellowship East Africa 2019.
Candidates should be from:
Conditions to apply
- Be 18 to 35 years old at the time of the application
- Be founder or cofounder of the initiative
- Be a Ugandan citizen and resident
- Have an initiative that addresses a water supply/sanitation/hygiene/waste management/water management issue and be willing to turn it into a social business. The initiative should be at an early stage (within the first 2 years) and ready to be piloted.
Deadline: 21st October 2021
Cost/funding for participants:
Throughout the incubation phase of the programme (October 2021-September 2022), the selected Young Water Fellows will benefit from:
- Two one-week boot camps providing start-up training in the WASH sector.
- Coaching and mentoring support
- Support in developing networks in the entrepreneurship and WASH sectors
- The opportunity to apply for a seed funding of up to $5,000 to develop a pilot project of their social enterprises during 6 months and validate their impact
Other Opportunities to Apply