The Action For Nature (AFN) is seeking nominations for the International Young Eco-Hero Awards to recognize and reward the successful individual environmental initiatives of young people ages 8 to 16.
AFN encourages young people around the world to carry out individual environmental action projects. They believe that young people can have a positive impact on the environment and are vital in changing the way they live on the planet.
- Winners will receive:
- Public recognition and media press release
- Cash prize up to $500
- Certificate of achievement for outstanding efforts to help protect and preserve the environment
- Exclusive access to their eco-hero alumni Facebook group
- Just as importantly, winners will serve as role models for other young people by demonstrating that each individual can make a difference.
- The project concerns environmental health, advocacy, research or protection of the natural world.
- The project is action-based and self-initiated, and not one assigned by a teacher or other adult.
- The project should be at least 6 months long and close to completion or completed within the last year.
- If the project is an invention, some trials should be completed before applying.
- Applicants must be between the ages of 8 and 16 on February 28th in the year of application.
- Science Fair and Scouting Badge projects will only be considered if they include environmental action, educational outreach to others or extended studies beyond the Science Fair and Scouting Badges.
- They do not accept (a) projects related to domestic or confined animals, (b) compositions or reports.
- Previous winners, immediate relatives of AFN board members, active reading panel members, or judges, may not apply.
- Only applications in English are accepted.
- Preference is given to projects of 2+ years and/or ongoing projects.
- The applications will be judged according to several criteria, including but not limited to:
- length of time devoted to the project
- influencing/educating others
- use of outside resources (e.g. library, experts, media, community leaders)
- degree of success in reaching goals
- the impact on the environment
Application Deadline: 28-Feb-24
Also Read: Other Opportunities to Apply