The U.S. Department of State Community Solutions Program helps to promote public diplomacy and cultural exchange around the world. This important initiative seeks to empower marginalized communities through a range of programs and activities that support economic development, social inclusion, conflict resolution, and other key goals. The program operates both domestically in the United States and abroad, engaging with local leaders and community organizers to find unique solutions to pressing issues facing different communities across the globe.
The Community Solutions Program is a professional leadership development program for the brightest and most promising community leaders in the world. Whether it’s developing neighborhood clean-up initiatives, organizing an educational forum on a local issue, or supporting residents grappling with homelessness or addiction, the Community Solutions Program provides an opportunity for people across various walks of life to come together and make a meaningful impact in their communities. If you’re looking to gain new skills, meet inspiring people, and make lasting contributions to your community, then this program may be just right for you.
Financial Benefits of the IREX Community Solutions Program 2024:
- Participants will be provided with J-1 visa support.
- Fellows in the program receive travel reimbursement from their home city to the United States.
- Fellows will receive a monthly allowance for housing, meals, and other living expenses.
- Insurance coverage for accidents and sickness will be provided to the Participants.
Eligibility Criteria for the IREX Community Solutions Program 2024:
- The candidate must be 26-39 years of age (as of the 1st of January 2024).
- The candidates must live and work within their home countries.
- The candidate will be given preference if he/she has refugee status and is still working for the community of their home.
- Candidates should have two years of experience either as full-time or part-time employees or volunteers in community development.
- The candidate must not be currently enrolled as a student or engaged in any project in the United States.
- The candidate’s English skills should be excellent. Candidates will be asked to submit IELTS or TOEFL results. (if selected as a semifinalist)
- The candidate must be available to travel to the U.S. for four months from August to December 2024.
- A candidate must not be a citizen of the United States or a permanent resident of the United States or have applied for citizenship in the United States.
- Candidates must not be an IREX employees or have a member of their immediate family working at IREX.
- Upon completion of the program, candidates must commit to returning to their home countries for at least two years.
IREX Community Solutions Program 2024 Eligible Countries List:
- Africa: Kenya, Botswana, Democratic Republic of Congo, Ethiopia, Ghana, Guinea, Liberia, Malawi, Mozambique, Namibia, Uganda, Rwanda, Sierra Leone, Cameroon, South Sudan, Sudan, Tanzania, Zambia, and Zimbabwe
- East Asia and the Pacific: Singapore, Burma, Cambodia, Federated States of Micronesia, Vietnam, Fiji, Laos, Malaysia, Mongolia, Thailand, Papua New Guinea, Philippines, Republic of the Marshall Islands, Brunei, Timor-Leste, and Indonesia
- Europe: Turkey, Bosnia and Herzegovina, Moldova, Bulgaria, the Czech Republic, Estonia, Romania, Hungary, Kosovo, Latvia, Lithuania, Malta, Montenegro, North Macedonia, Albania, Serbia, Slovakia, and Ukraine
- The Middle East and North Africa: United Arab Emirates, Bahrain, Iraq, Israel, Oman, Jordan, Kuwait, Egypt, Lebanon, Morocco, Qatar, Saudi Arabia, Syria, Tunisia, Algeria, West Bank/Palestinian Territories
- South and Central Asia: Maldives, Bhutan, Kazakhstan, Kyrgyzstan, Nepal, Pakistan, Uzbekistan, Sri Lanka, Tajikistan, Turkmenistan, and, Bangladesh
- Western Hemisphere: Brazil, Suriname, Colombia, Panama, Costa Rica, Honduras, Dominican Republic, Ecuador, El Salvador, Guatemala, Guyana, Haiti, Jamaica, Bolivia, Paraguay, Peru, Trinidad and Tobago, Uruguay, and Venezuela
The application deadline to apply for the IREX Community Solutions Program 2024 in the United States is November 1, 2023.
Also Read: Other Opportunities to Apply