The Catalyst Fund for Early-stage Ideas / Projects addressing Global Challenges (US$15,000 Grant)
The Roddenberry Foundation is accepting proposals for the Catalyst Fund from anyone, anywhere in the world who has an early-stage idea or project that addresses pressing global challenges.
The Catalyst Fund Supports
- Early Stage
- Do you have a great idea, new project or an initiative ready to grow?
- The Catalyst Fund is geared towards small and/or early-stage ideas and projects that need a capital infusion to launch or prove viability. Catalyst awardees are typically piloting a program, venturing into new territory, on the cusp of launching, or pivoting in a new direction.
- Big Ideas
- Do you have a big idea or project that has the potential to deliver real, lasting change?
- The Catalyst Fund supports big ideas or projects that depart from the status quo and require us to look at a problem and its solution in a new light. These big ideas have a high potential for impact across an entire community, city, or country. They tend to leverage existing infrastructure, build on partnerships (public and private), and improve on what’s already out there. Big ideas push boundaries and challenge convention.
- Bold Vision
- Will your plans inspire others and challenge the field to think differently?
- The Catalyst Fund supports individuals whose vision for change is audacious. Catalyst awardees seek significant, long-term impact and have a vision for how to get there and what needs to get done. They are able to articulate how they plan to make the world better and why. Their vision inspires others and offers a glimpse of a better future.
- Requests submitted through the Catalyst Fund range from $2,500 to $15,000. Requests above $15k will be automatically disqualified. Please align your request with what you need — if you need $7k, don’t ask for $12k. In deciding how much to request, consider how much funding you need right now and how you will use it to advance your idea.
- If you have a new or different idea you can reapply in 6 months. If your grant was not accepted, please do not resubmit the same proposal.
- Catalyst supports projects from anywhere in the world by individuals, teams, non-profits, or social enterprises.
- Applicants can be individuals, for-profits, B-corps, or non-profits operating outside the US.
- The Catalyst Fund has been created to source ideas from all corners of the globe. You can be a seasoned social entrepreneur or a first-time changemaker. Eligible candidates for the Catalyst Fund may be individuals, teams of individuals, non-profit organizations, or social enterprises. To be eligible, all applicants must:
- Be 18 years of age or older
- Submit an application in English
- Include completed responses to all required application questions
- Agree to all legal terms and conditions of the Catalyst Fund grant program
- Be able to legally receive grant funding.
- They are looking for well-thought-out projects that have a high potential for lasting impact.
- They know you are applying with an early-stage idea. However, they’re looking for a well-thought-out plan with clear goals, specific metrics, and measurable impact. They’re also looking for:
- Innovative: Approaches or strategies that innovate on existing models — What are you building on? What other solutions already exist?
- Community-based: You have a deep understanding of the communities you work on behalf of — What are their needs? How are they engaged in the process? How will they be able to maintain the solution over time?
- High potential for impact: A recognized issue that affects a significant percentage of people — this is relative, but they’re looking for solutions to problems that have outsized impact.
- Sustainable: Experienced team and a smart strategy for driving change — Who and what are driving the change? Why is this the right team? What makes this the right strategic bet right now?
- The selection process also takes into consideration the following criteria: innovation, potential impact, eco-system, and originality.
Application Deadline: Ongoing Opportunity
Also Read: Other Opportunities to Apply
Also Apply for the Strategic-Technical Support Program – Capacity Building for NGOs and CBOs