Women Breakthrough Award 2023 Worldwide (Up to 3,000 EUR)
Launched together by Falling Walls Female Science Talents and the Elsevier Foundation, the Women Breakthrough Award distinguishes three women scientists each year who conduct visionary research while also engaging with issues of gender equity and equality in science.
The Women Breakthrough Award is looking for women from science, conducting a research project in one of the fields related to the 17 Sustainable Development Goals (SDGs). They seek exceptional talents who conduct interdisciplinary, groundbreaking research in their field and contribute to gender equality and diversity in science and academia.
Falling Walls Female Science Talents uses an inclusive definition of women and welcomes submissions from cis and trans women, genderqueer and non-binary people.
About the award
During the International Spring Gathering in May 2022, we gathered the Female Science Talents community in Berlin to explore gendered research for the promotion of sustainable innovation. From these rich discussions emerged the idea to create an award to bring recognition to outstanding women scientists who incorporate a gender lens into their groundbreaking research and contribute to achieving the 17 Sustainable Development Goals of the United Nations.
Honouring these women will set an important sign in linking excellence in research and science to diversity, gender equality and the empowerment of underrepresented groups. It will also establish the awardees as role models for the global community of women scientists.
The Women Breakthrough Award is a cooperation from Female Science Talents and the Elsevier Foundation and runs independently from the Falling Walls Global Call.
CATEGORY INNOVATION — 3.000 EUR
- The researcher addresses in her research a specific gender-related issue in science in an innovative way.
CATEGORY GENDER MAINSTREAMING — 3.000 EUR
- The researcher incorporates gender equality into the design of her research project in alliance with the standard similar to those formulated by the European Research Council or German Research Foundation.
CATEGORY EMPOWERMENT— 3.000 EUR
- The researcher empowers women or other underrepresented people around her with her research or the design of her research project.
- Get a travel scholarship for Berlin from 7.-10. November 2023 and participate Falling Walls Science Summit 2023;
- Benefit from an increased reach and visibility for you and your research on a global level;
- Get unique opportunities for networking with global leaders in science, politics, business, and the media;
- Become part of the inspiring Female Science Talents community and get access to the Female Science Talents community channels;
- Become a champion that inspires the vision of gender equality in science;
- Have in-depth peer exchange with Falling Walls community members, including Falling Walls Venture, Falling Walls Engage, Falling Walls Lab and partners.
You can nominate someone else or self-nominate as an individual.
- Universities and research institutions
- Companies with research labs
- Scientific foundations
- Partner organisations of Falling Walls
- Leading scientists in their field
We welcome submissions from women researchers from all around the world who:
- Tackle a specific gender related topic;
- Or incorporate the gender equality into the design of their research;
- Or enable and empowers people around them with their research or the design of their research;
- And conduct a research project directly connected to one of the 17 SDGs.
- Researchers who are at the final stage of their project from all disciplines, including the arts, at university and non-university research institutions worldwide — PhD (late stage), Postdoctoral Researchers and Junior Professors, or similar level;
- Women from science and industry conducting a research on one issue related to the 17 SDGs;
- The research project must be running and active at the time of the submission. Being in the funding or ideation phase is not considered as a running research project;
- The nominee must be 18 years or older when submitting the application.
- Please note that all nominations have to be submitted in English.
How to nominate
STEP 1: Click on the button above “Nominate Here”.
STEP 2: Fill in your nomination, self-nomination, or complete your nominee submission.
STEP 3: Nominees will get a email with further information regarding the competition process.
Nominations close: 31 May 2023
Also Read: Other Opportunities to Apply
Also Apply for the Strategic-Technical Support Program – Capacity Building for NGOs and CBOs