Application Deadline: 7th May 2021 (12 AM)
About the Award: Introduced in 2017, the WIA 54 programme promotes women entrepreneurship in Africa. Each year, it endows 54 African women entrepreneurs from 54 African countries with a comprehensive support package consisting of training, communication, and networking.
In 2021, WIA rolled out its 2030 plan, which multiplied the number of beneficiaries of the programme by 10!
This year, before appointing the 54 laureates, the jury will make an initial selection of 10 finalists per country. Thus, 540 women candidates will benefit from training and coaching. Through this newly introduced initiative, WIA aims at supporting more than 10,000 women entrepreneurs, indirectly contributing to the creation of 100,000 jobs, by 2030.
From this strengthened pool of entrepreneurs, the jurors will then select the 54 country laureates and 9 sectoral prize winners who will receive a comprehensive package of support to further boost their success!
Eligible Field(s): The categories are as follows:
Gold Award: Jury Prize
Eligibility: The criteria are as follows:
- Business created or led by an African woman
- Startup created less than 5 years ago
- First traction on the market (sales, number of users, funds raised)
- Be part of one of the 8 categories
- Applicants can only compete in a category that is their primary business category. For example: If you produce jams sold exclusively on a website, your category is “Agriculture” not “Digital.”
- If you offer digital training, your primary category is “Education” and your secondary category is “Digital”
- Innovative product, service or technology
- Proven business model scalability
- Strong growth potential
- Ambitious team with strong execution ability
- Market traction (revenue, number of users, funds raised)
- Potential impact in Africa
Eligible Countries: 54 countries in Africa
Number of Awards:
Country finalists: 10 women pre-selected in each country
Country laureates: 54 women representing the 54 countries selected from the country finalists
Value of Award: The 540 finalists, 54 country laureates, and 9 sector revelations will receive various rewards.