Over the last four decades, we have been witnessing significant economic growth in most parts of the world. At the same time, we are seeing a rise in inequality, an exacerbating climate crisis and a rising sense of disempowerment. This trend can be described as the decoupling of economic prosperity from social prosperity and environmental sustainability.
The Global Solutions Initiative aims to address this trend by generating proposals to better align economic and political activities with environmental sustainability and social prosperity. With the Young Global Changers Recoupling Awards we want to recognize and reward projects and initiatives by young people from around the world which embody this recoupling-approach.
Recoupling-projects must be guided by a people-centric approach, one that puts the needs and voices of their stakeholders, customers, workers and communities at the center. The jury will be looking for particularly novel, unique and original approaches or projects that address specific issues which have previously been neglected. Projects must be beyond the idea phase and can include social businesses as well as nonprofit activities.
Who can apply?
Young entrepreneurs or innovators who have started or are involved in a leading role in a social enterprise that aims at aligning economic activity with environmental sustainability and social prosperity.
Young business leaders aiming at changing “business as usual” from the inside (“intrapreneurs”).
Young non-profit actors, community organizers, advocacy leaders, campaigners, or implementers of social, economic, or environmental change on a local, regional or even on the global level.
- The project, business or initiative that you apply with needs to aim at recoupling, i.e. a better alignment of economic or political activities with social well-being and environmental sustainability.
- The applicant should have a leading position in the project/initiative they are applying with. (e.g. founder, co-founder, project-lead, initiator or a similar role.)
- The applicant needs to be between the ages of 18 and 35.
- Applicants need to be willing and motivated to become active members of a global network which aims at bringing about lasting global change.
- All applicants who qualify to be among the Top 50, will become part of our cohort of 2023 Young Global Changers.
- All 50 projects will be presented on the Global Solutions website.
- Representatives of the most outstanding projects will get the opportunity to travel to Berlin and participate in the 2023 Global Solutions Summit (May 15/16, 2023).
- The very best will have the chance to present their project at the Summit in front of a renowned jury and an international audience.
- The jury will select three winners. The overall winner receives a prize of € 5,000, the runner-up receives € 2,000, third place wins € 1,000.
- Selected projects will also have a chance to receive mentoring, training, and further support to help improve their project or initiative.
How to apply?
Complete the online application form by 26 January 2023 and include all relevant information about your project. There are no costs associated with the application. For a successful submission the following information and material will need to be provided:
- Personal information (name, email address, place of residence, date and place of birth)
- Project information (name of the project, project description, connection to recoupling)
- Upload of the following documents: 1. CV, 2. project description, 3. photo of you, 4. short video (max. 5 min)
The selection and evaluation of the projects will be done by a jury. Of all projects submitted, the best 50 will be presented on our website, a minimum of 10 projects will be selected for the final round in Berlin.
The best initiatives among the finalists will be presented in front of a live jury of experts and a global audience at the Global Solutions Summit 2023 on May 15/16 in Berlin. The pitch can be held digitally or on-site. (It will not be a disadvantage if one of the finalists is not able to attend the summit in Berlin in person.)
Also Read: Other Opportunities to Apply