Are you passionate about making a difference outside your community and love learning about new cultures? Do you have expertise / skills in agriculture, entrepreneurship, Media, IT & Innovation, education, health care, organization development or have any other skill you’d like to share with someone in need? Are you interested in working with children, adolescents, youth, girls and women? Apply for this opportunity and join your fellows / interns global citizens in connecting, serving, and changing lives – Uganda, the pearl of Africa is waiting for you! Applications are now open.
About Volunteer Fellowship
The Volunteer Fellowship is an all-skilled persons program designed to support local organizations and businesses in Uganda with tools and resources they need to better and sustain their local initiatives. The fellowship brings together some of the most innovators and skilled persons (Volunteers and Interns) in their different fields for engagements in enhancing capacity building, mentorship, project development and leveraging the influence built through international and national networks.
To champion Africa’s initiatives, skilled personnel (fellows/interns) are placed in organizations, institutions and companies from different fields focusing on supporting and development of Businesses, Education, Health care, Agriculture, capacity building, media, IT & Innovation, among others, for a specified period of time. This fellowship supports you to be the leader you have the potential to be through in-depth learning of different cultures, tailored to your individual needs, aspirations and circumstances.
The fellowship runs all year round – quarterly basis – with a framework designed to share and boost skills development of both volunteers/interns and Ugandan nationals. It is an adaptive and self-guided, so you’ll need to be highly motivated and deeply curious. The Fellowship is a learnt program, it is experiential, practical, grounded in practice, and underpinned by contemporary leadership theories and approaches.
As a part of the Fellowship, each international fellow/intern will undertake an individually tailored programme based in Uganda which will include:
- Orientation for 2 days at your residence
- Working in an organization/institution/company for 6 weeks (normally in an organisation or field very different to your usual workplace or practice) where you’ll be working on a ‘live’ project set by your host organisation.
- Working from 9:00am through to 4:00pm from Monday to Thursday – supporting, mentoring and networking
- Attending relevant workshops / conferences
- An intensive team project with your host organization/institution/company
- Participating in community and study visits with sector networking
- Participating in weekend destination tours across the Pearl of Africa (Friday – Sunday)
- Writing a paper on your volunteer / internship experience
The fellowship is quarterly based as follows;
- January – March
- April – June
- July – September
- October – December
- Acquiring skills from different destination
- Mentor – Mentee partnership
- Cultural diversity from different destinations
- Partnerships with international community
- Fun filled trips across the country
- Exchange in knowledge, ideas and innovations
- New opportunities through networking
- Applications are open for individuals, students, groups, families from around the world
- Applicants must return to the country they were selected from at the end of the period of the fellowship
- Applicant must posses a skill in any field / sectors mentioned above
- A demonstrated commitment to public or community service, volunteerism or mentorship
- Have strong social and communication skills
- An energetic, positive attitude
- A demonstrated knowledge of, interest in, and professional experience in the preferred sector
- The ability to work cooperatively in diverse groups and to respect the opinions of others